Thursday, January 23, 2014

Las Guerras de las Galaxias, and Other Things I've Done So Far

Well these past two days have been quite the experience. Yesterday I got my first chance to navigate in the city by myself and did pretty well. I can now pretty much find my way home from just about anywhere. In the afternoon we broke off into groups for tours of the city. The result  for me of the tour was that I need to get some Spanish clothes cause they're pretty awesome. I'm actually going shopping with my host hermano for dress shoes to wear to the discotecas. I figure I have to try it at least once. I'm not one for the dance-party scene, so more than likely won't make it a weekly event. But at least I'll get some new European shoes. Right now is sale season in Seville, so I'm gonna try to grab a coat and maybe a few shirts too.

Last night I watched Attack of the Clones on TV with my host brother. He had never seen any of the Star Wars films, but was interested when I told him a scene was filmed at the plaza de españa, a site not more than 5 minutes away from our house. The movie was in Spanish, but since I had no life until I was 17 I knew the script by heart. That really helped me to hear new words in Spanish, and instantly know what they meant. Any words I didn't know I would just ask my brother. I really enjoyed explaining the plot of the movie to him since he came in an episode behind and was a little confused.

Meal time has become probably my favorite part of the day. Not only does my señora cook the best food, but it's when I get to really work on my conversational Spanish. I'm not gonna lie, I thought I'd never use some of the vocab I've learned in college about topics like immigration and unemployment, but apparently my host dad loves to talk, and talks about anything and everything. Religion. Government, US and Spain. The pretty news woman on TV. You name it, we talk about it. 

Classes start tomorrow at 9 for me. I have four classes, so I'll be at school from 9-12ish. After class I'll probably come home, do my homework, eat lunch, and then take my siesta. After that is when I will *hopefully* hang out with friends. I would like to start going to the gym after a full week of classes, so that's probably the time of day when I'll go. I think going to the gym would be another great place to practice my Spanish. I'm too tempted to speak in English to my classmates, so I want to spend a lot of time talking to natives. Jaime, the owner of the gym is excited for me to join as I provide an opprotunity for him to improve his English. I also want to take a walk down to the park and see if it's a good setting for long snapping practice. 

Gonna start the semester off strong tomorrow, knock on wood. 

1 comment:

  1. Love, love your blog! Except you sound so grown up and independent! Grandmas are not ready for that in their grand kids! So happy for you to have this wonderful opportunity. You are going about it the absolute right way! Enjoy!
    Looking forward to reading your blog daily! We love you!
    Nanny Pam & Grandpa.

    ReplyDelete